I was gifted a copy of The Knotty Truth: Creating Beautiful Locks on a Dime for review. Being a natural hair and dreadlocks enthusiast, I was very interested in the content, and it eventually led me to now being 1 year locked. I’d made many attempts to loc my hair before but after really reading this book, it led me to my longest set of locs so far with which I am fully content. It really taught me exactly how to start dreadlocks, what to expect and when to expect it.
About the Book
The Knotty Truth: Creating Beautiful Locks On A Dime is a comprehensive guide to creating and maintain beautiful locks on a small budget. If you want to know how to start dreadlocks, this is the only book on locks you may ever need. The book includes everything you could want when it comes to deciding on locks, creating locks, maintaining locks and even removing locks. At almost 300 pages, the 8″x10″ book is basically a textbook for people who are serious about caring for their locs themselves.
The Knotty Truth: Creating Beautiful Locs on a Dime is full of detailed instructions, photographs, interviews and illustrations that will take you step-by-step through the entire process and make you understand the how and why of loc processes. It even details multiple methods of creation and care and helps you to know which is for you.
Author, M. Michele George, the author, holds advanced science degrees and has taken a scientific approach in this book. She is not playing a guessing game or giving unfounded advice. Further, the book is full of charts, diagrams, instructions, photographs. It is actually used as an instruction manual in continuing education instruction (CEU) in the cosmetology industry. To get a full vire of the
PART ONE: THE FOUNDATION
- Holistic Health Care
- How to properly nourish and feed the hair
- The State of the Hair
- How to determine the biological and physiolocial state of the hair
- Now What?
- How to determine the best locking method
- Excerpt 1
PART TWO: HOW TO CREATE BEAUTIFUL LOCKS
- Setting the Grid
- It’s all about the parts!
- The Root of the Matter
- Lock installation and tightening, how to?
- The Evolution of the Lock
- What changes to expect during the locking process and when
- Washing Dreaded Locks of Hair
- Cleansing locks
- Lock Challenges: When, Why, How?
- It’s all about the questions!
- Excerpt 2: Professional & nappy!
- Yes, locks are professional! The real question is: are you?
PART THREE: PULLING IT ALL TOGETHER
- Creating Beautiful Locks On A Dime with Organic, Free-form Locks!
- With Dilicia and Jordan
- Creating Beautiful Locks On A Dime with Coils!
- With Francheska, Jay, G. George and Yvonne
- Creating Beautiful Locks On A Dime with 2-strand twists!
- With Christy, Michelle and Natacha
- Creating Beautiful Locks On A Dime with Braids!
- With the author M. Michele George
- Creating Beautiful Locks On A Dime with Backcombed-interlocked Locks!
- The 3-step lock & roll method with Brenda
- Creating Beautiful Locks On A Dime with SisterlocksTM!
- With Shauna and Bena
- Excerpt 3:
- Black girls do swim!
PART FOUR: LOCK MANAGMENT
- How to Style On A Dime!
- Styling and accessorizing locks
- Lock Take Down
- How to take down locks
- Finding the Right Stylist
- Questions to ask during the consultation and a quick consultation from Queen Roshae, licensed cosmetologist
- Excerpt 4
- Challenging barriers to economic opportunity
Watch My Full Review
Ready to learn how to start your locs?